VCSEL – Vertical Cavity Surface Emitting Laser
VCSEL Capabilities and Benefits
- Large optical output power in small spaces
- Collimated light source
- Spectral purity
- Reduced speckle
- Stable optical wavelength over temperature
- Faster than LEDs
- Fast Pulse
- Pulse Control
- Pulse to Pulse Control
- Multi-Channel Driver, Channel to Channel Matching
Triad VCSEL Driver Capabilities
- High current VCSEL pulse generation
- High speed VCSEL pulse generation
- Single or multi-channel VCSEL drivers
- Tight matching of pulse timing and currents between channels
- Small VCSEL illuminator and driver size reduction keeps pace with the small size of modern, high-resolution image sensors.
- I2C and I3C communication options for VCSEL driver control (other communication protocols available)
- Integrated eye safety features
- Current, voltage, temperature monitoring
- Optical output power monitoring
- Lens and diffuser integrity monitoring
- Capability to drive single VCSELs, lines and arrays
- Large peak VCSEL currents
- Sharp, well defined current pulse edges
- Integrated power management options
- VCSELs are optically powerful LASER light sources
- Proper control and lensing is required to ensure eye safe operation of VCSEL illuminators
Triad VCSEL Eye Safety Experience
Real-time monitoring of VCSEL driver currents, voltages and temperature
In-the-loop optical output measurements
Backscatter optical detectors
Mechanical lens/diffuser integrity assurance monitors
DFMEA – Design Failure Mode and Effects Analysis for VCSEL ICs, and Systems utilizing VCSEL light sources
Eye Safety Circuit IP
Hardware-in-the-loop safety interlocks to limit optical power or rapidly shutdown operation
VCSEL Illuminator’s Tiny Size Benefits
VCSEL Eye Safety
Cameras are tiny. Over the past fifteen years, cameras have seen vast improvements image resolution, quality, and imager size. Many of these improvements have been driven by the demands of the mobile phone industry. Modern smartphones contain multiple color, depth, and infrared image sensors. The mobile phone industry’s large consumer production volumes have resulted in major economies of scale which have made these high-performance and tiny imaging modules cost effect for a wide range of applications.
As image sensors have gotten smaller, product developers have recognized the need for the camera lighting function to also achieve improved integration. VCSEL illuminators are tiny light sources that enable end products to take advantage of the size and cost reductions achieved with CMOS image sensors. When CMOS image sensors and VCSEL illuminators are combined the result is an optimal overall imaging solution that satisfies, size, cost and performance requirements.
VCSEL illuminators are often used in new, emerging applications and they have unique requirements for VCSEL control and eye safety. Triad Semiconductor has significant experience designing and manufacturing VCSEL Driver ICs.
Triad VCSEL Driver Capabilities
Triad Semiconductor designs and manufactures VCSEL Driver ICs. We work with customers to develop both VCSEL Driver ASICs and VCSEL Driver ASSPs for Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, Automotive, Industrial, and Medical Applications.
If you have a VCSEL Driver application in need of integration, please contact Triad to speak with one of our IC Architects to begin exploring integration options.